Friday, September 18, 2020

 I recently studied the April 2020 General Conference talk by Elder Christofferson entitled, "Sharing the Message of the Restoration and the Resurrection". In his message he talks about three things we need in order to share the gospel more effectively..

  1.  Love
  2.  Example
  3. Use of the Book of Mormon
As he talked more in depth about each of these items, I really enjoyed the section about being an example. He states "what is it that will make your invitation appealing to someone? Isn't it you, the example of your life?" He then says "we need to understand and live the principles of the restored gospel as best we can for our invitations to be inviting. It is something often referred to today as authenticity."(italics added)

 I loved the use of the word authenticity (which he uses again a second time, later on in his talk), and it made me stop and examine my life and think about whether or not I'm being authentic with all of the different hats I wear. Am I the same person as a wife, and as a mom and a soccer coach and a young women leader and a  community volunteer? Am I the same person in each of these different settings? Do my values change depending on the company I'm keeping? As I've asked myself these questions, I know there is room to improve. 

I hope I can be more authentic in every aspect of my life so that my example carries more weight to those who are looking for true followers of Jesus Christ. 

No comments: