Saturday, September 19, 2020

Character of Christ

As I read through 3 Nephi 8-11 this week, I was looking for the things Jesus Christ did or said as he visited the Nephites in the new world. As we read about all the destruction that happens in chapters 8-9, it's easy to get the impression that Christ is mean or vengeful-especially since the pronoun "I" is used repeatedly throughout the text. But if you read carefully, the reason this is happening is because of the wicked choices being made by the people, "to hide their wickedness and abominations from before my face." (3 Nephi 9:2,5,7,8,9,10,11,12). It is very clear that Christ wants them (and us) to understand that this destruction was a direct consequence of their choices.

So, to make sure they understood His true character, he then speaks directly to the surviving Nephites to let them (and us) know exactly who He is and His righteous intentions.

  1. repent of your sins, and be converted, that I may heal you (9:13). He wants to help us.
  2. mine arm of mercy is extended towards you (9:14), (11:9). He is merciful
  3. whosoever will come, him will I receive (9:14). Everyone is accepted by Him.
  4. blessed are those who come unto me (9:14). Blessings are unlimited.
  5. the scriptures concerning my coming are fulfilled (9:16),(11:10, 12) He keeps his promises given by the prophets
  6. as many as have received me, to them have I given to become the sons of God, and even so will I to as many as shall believe on my name (9:17). He forgives
  7. I am the light and life of the world (9:18), (11:11) He gives us hope
  8. I have come unto the world to bring redemption unto the world, to save the world from sin (9:21) He is selfless.
  9. I have laid down my life and taken it up again (9:22) He knows about sacrifice.
  10. how oft would I gather you as a hen gathereth her chickens under her wings (10:4-6) He wants to gather and protect us.
  11. I have drunk out of that bitter cup (11:11) He did hard things
  12. have glorified the Father in taking upon me the sins of the world. (11:11) He is humble
  13. I suffered the will of the Father in all things from the beginning (11:11) He is obedient
  14. Arise and come forth unto me (11:14) He is approachable
  15. the multitude went forth...one by one. He spake unto Nephi (11:15,18) He knows us each individually
  16. I give unto you power that ye shall baptize this people (11:21) He cares about covenants
  17. there shall be no disputations, contention or anger among you (11:22, 28-30). He loves peace and unity.
  18. I will declare unto you my doctrine (11:31) He is a teacher
  19. I bear record of the Father...(11:32) He testifies of the doctrine
  20. go forth unto this people and declare the words which I have spoken, unto the ends of the earth (11:41) He wants us to follow His example and testify of His doctrine.
I love that in these four chapters we see this huge contrast between dark and light, sadness and happiness, destruction and restoration, death and life. It makes things so much clearer to see that we need to look to Jesus Christ in order to have peace, joy and happiness in our lives.

No comments: