Saturday, December 4, 2021

Reading and Pondering the Scriptures

A lot of truths stood out to me this week while studying D&C 137-138, but in order to make this a more reader- friendly post, I thought I’d share just one of them with you.

Section 138 teaches us two important reasons to study the scriptures…

 1) The scriptures are a portal to revelation. As President Joseph F. Smith pondered and reflected over his scriptures, the atonement of Jesus Christ, and the love of God (138:1-4), he received this amazing revelation about the redemption of the dead (D&C 138). I personally don't expect to receive any kind of revelation of that magnitude, but I hope for and expect revelation and inspiration on how to be a better wife, mother, friend, and disciple. And the Holy Ghost can inspire us in other areas of our life as well.  I love this example from Sister Julie B. Beck, former General Relief Society President, from a 2010 Women's Conference address entitled "Choose Ye This Day to Serve the Lord" that addressed the importance of daily scripture study and how it opens the pathway to personal revelation. "I have to be able to know the mind and will of God. Therefore, I have to do the things in my life that put me in a position to hear His voice. Reading the scriptures [is] an essential for me because the scriptures contain the mind and will of God, and by reading and studying from them, I can hear His voice and receive His guidance in all aspects of my life."

 2) The scriptures help us learn the doctrine and principles of the gospel. As President Joseph F. Smith was pondering and reflecting his “mind reverted to the writings of the Apostle Paul” (138:5). It’s important that we be familiar enough with the scriptures that the Lord can bring to our remembrance things we've already read as well as to direct us to those resources that will help bring more light, knowledge, understanding, and depth to our study. I have seen this happen many times in my life as I've been preparing a talk or a lesson or thinking about what I can share that would help someone in need of comfort or strength. I don't always remember the whole scripture or quote that comes to my mind, usually just a phrase or a story, but thanks to technology I can use that little bit of information to find what the Lord has inspired me to share. For example, while thinking about what to include in my blog this week, I was reminded of a discourse by Elder Richard G. Scott where he talked about the scriptures being our friends. So I searched the internet for those key terms and was able to find his talk " The Power of Scripture". That talk contains this quote: "The scriptures...can become stalwart friends that are...always available when needed. Their use provides a foundation of truth that can be awakened by the Holy Ghost."

I like to think that even though I'm not receiving personal revelation every time I study my scriptures, my consistent study of the word of God is building a large reserve of knowledge that the Holy Ghost can access when the time is right.

No comments: