Sunday, January 8, 2023

The Influence of Parents

My thoughts this week turned to the character of Mary and Joseph, the mortal parents of Jesus Christ. I read Matthew 1 and Luke 1 looking for attributes and gifts that they possessed that they must have taught their Son, probably through their words but certainly through their examples.

Matthew 1:19 Before the angel ever appeared to Joseph to tell him what was going on with Mary, Joseph was willing to show mercy and kindness to Mary ("to put her away privily").

Matthew 1:20 Joseph knows the importance of giving time and space to pondering ("while he thought on these things") in order to allow the Spirit (or in Joseph's case, an angel) to speak to us.

Matthew 1:24 Joseph knows the importance of obeying Gods commands ("Joseph...did as the angel of the Lord had bidden him") even though marrying Mary "could have brought upon him public shame and ridicule" (New Testament Student Manual)

Luke 1:38 Mary shows us her willingness to be submissive to Gods will ("be it unto me according to thy word") even though she would also face many difficulties (New Testament Student Manual)

Luke 1:46-55 Mary has a powerful testimony of Jesus Christ and His mission, and she bears it!

Luke 1:48 Mary is humble ("For he hath regarded the low estate of his handmaiden".

Mary and Joseph possessed wonderful Christlike attributes even before becoming parents to Jesus. I like to think that these attributes would have been taught and shown as Jesus grew up in the home of Mary and Joseph. It helps me consider what Christlike attributes my character is teaching my children - maybe not just through words, but by my actions. Do they see me being obedient and submissive to God's will, even if it goes against our current cultural trends? Do they see me bearing testimony of my Savior? Am I showing humility in my words and actions? The example we set for our children plays a big role in parenting. Understanding more about the character of both Mary and Joseph helps me better understand why God chose them to be the ones to raise His Only Begotten Son, Jesus Christ.


No comments: