Saturday, March 19, 2022

More than an Amazing Coat

After studying the story of Joseph these past two weeks, I was amazed at how rich it was with principles of the gospel and symbolism of Christ. Here some of the lessons that stood out most to me..

  • In times of plenty we should be preparing for times of crisis, both temporally and spiritually. (Genesis 41-42)
  • God makes all things work together for our good. (Genesis 45:7-8)
  • Given enough time, hearts can soften and change. (Judah sells Joseph to become a slave-Genesis 37:26 but twenty years later Judah is willing to become a slave in place of Benjamin-Genesis 44:33)
  • After passing through trials, can we look back and see the hand of God in our life? (Genesis 50:20)
  • When Christ forgives he also forgets. When we keep bringing up past grievances that have been resolved, He weeps. (Genesis 50:17-21)
Who knew there were so many lessons to learn in the story of Joseph? I sure didn't! I love this quote by Elder Robert D. Hales: "In order to gain the greatest insights the scriptures have to offer, our study will focus not so much on places and names as on principles and doctrines. It is not simply book knowledge we are after but insights that will change the way we live and that will actually make a difference in our lives. We must see the scriptures for what they are: an instruction manual for becoming like our Savior" (The Journey of Lifelong Learning). I thought I knew the story of Joseph really well because I grew up singing all the songs to the musical. Yes, I know all the colors in his coat and all the names of his brothersšŸ¤£, but, it turns out there are a lot more important things to be learned about in this story regarding the character of Christ and His gospel. This is why the Come, Follow Me program has been so wonderful for me and my family. It is showing us how to “liken all scriptures unto us, that (they) might be for our profit and learning” (1Nephi 19:23).


No comments: