Saturday, August 21, 2021

Modern Media

The greatest lesson I learned this week in my Come, Follow Me studies came from D&C 91, a section that talks about a book called the Apocrypha.  Not only did I learn about what this book is (a book of scripture found in some versions of the bible), but more importantly, a principle contained in this revelation: look for the good and positive things that can be found in our media choices. In the previous section (90:15) we are admonished to "become acquainted with all good books, and with languages, tongues, and people." 

There is truth and goodness all around us in the media, but it is up to us to use the Spirit to discern what will be beneficial to us (91:5). I have been enlightened and changed by so many good books that I have read (and discussed with my book club) over the years. And I enjoy watching movies with my family that have a good, wholesome message we can talk about. I love that this section encourages and reminds us that we are to seek after "anything virtuous, lovely or of good report or praiseworthy." (Article of Faith #13) While it might take some extra effort to find those virtuous, lovely, or praiseworthy things in the world today, we must remember that they are there and it is worth it when we find them.

No comments: