Saturday, July 24, 2021

The Greatest Good

While studying in the Doctrine and Covenants this week, one day I happened to read a verse independent of its surrounding verses and a phrase stood out to me that I hadn't "seen" in my earlier studies. The phrase that jumped off the page was in 81:4 and it said "in doing these things thou wilt do the greatest good unto thy fellow beings." I was immediately intrigued to find out what "these things" were. Even though this revelation was instruction for a counselor to Joseph Smith, there is still personal application for us today. Here's what the accompanying verses say about the greatest good we can be doing:

  1. Fulfilling our callings (v. 3)
  2. Praying always (v. 3)
  3. Teaching the gospel (v. 3)
  4. Serving others (v. 5)
As I thought about these four things, the Spirit reminded me of two talks that have really helped to guide me when making decisions about how best to use my time. They are "Choose ye this day to serve the Lord" by Julie B. Beck and "Good, Better, Best" by Dallin H. Oaks. In Sister Beck's talk she shared her thoughts about a priority system that she has used in her life to help guide her in making decisions about how to prioritize her choices. The three categories are labeled as "essential, necessary, and nice-to-do." As you read through her talk, you will see that the four items listed above are also on Sister Beck's list of "essential" things to do. Elder Oaks said "Most of us have more things expected of us than we can possibly do...we face many choices on what we will do with our time...we have to forego some good things in order to choose others that are better or best because they develop faith in the Lord Jesus Christ and strengthen our families."

As we choose to use our time to do the "essential" things in life, not only will our faith in Jesus Christ be strengthened and our families fortified, but we are also promised a "crown of immortality and eternal life in the mansions...in the house of my Father." (81:6) And as an added bonus, Sister Beck acknowledged that even though "there is a lot to do, I find that it is amazing how much I get to do on my nice-to-do list. The Lord blesses us with those mercies, but only if the other priorities are in order." Our Father in Heaven loves us and will bless us with the best of both worlds; the "nice-to-do" things follow after we do those things that are "essential".







No comments: