Saturday, April 3, 2021

I Know That My Redeemer Lives

As I approached this week of Come, Follow Me study for Easter, I read through the manual and figuratively rolled my eyes at the suggestion to write an additional verse to the hymn "I Know That My Redeemer Lives, thinking to myself "how could anyone add anything of importance to that majestic and tender hymn?" But as I listened to the Podcast called "Don't Miss This", they encouraged their listeners to break apart the hymn into different categories in order to study it more in depth. The three categories I chose to make were...Who He Is, What He does, and What does this knowledge do for me. Based on the lyrics of this hymn, here is what I discovered.

Who He Is....

  • my ever-living Head
  • kind
  • wise
  • heavenly Friend
  • Prophet
  • Priest
  • King
  • my Savior
  • still the same (constant)
What He Does....
  • blesses me with His love
  • pleads for me above
  • feeds my hungry soul
  • blesses me in times of need
  • grants me rich supply
  • guides me with His eye
  • comforts me when faint
  • hears my souls complaint
  • silences my fears
  • wipes away my tears
  • calms my troubled heart
  • imparts all blessings to me
  • loves me to the end
  • grants me daily breath
  • gives me the ability to conquer death
  • prepares a mansion for me and a way to bring me safely to it.
What does this knowledge do for me...
  • brings joy
  • brings comfort
  • makes me want to sing
  • I feel glory for His name
  • brings sweetness into my life
After I looked over these lists I challenged myself to think of other words that I associate with Jesus Christ that weren't listed in the original hymn. These are the words that came to my mind...lifts up, mercy, light, forgiving and understanding. With these words as my guide, here's my attempt to write an additional verse to the hymn "I Know That My Redeemer Lives." 

"He lives to understand my needs.
He lives to listen when I plead.

He lives to lighten my dark path.
He lives to walk me safely back.

He lives to forgive all my sins.
He lives and I know I shall win.

He lives to show me mercy, how?
He lives to lift me up right now."

Happy Easter Everyone!!!


No comments: