Saturday, March 13, 2021

Exhort and Strengthen the church

Section 23 of the Doctrine and Covenants is a combination of five short revelations given to five people, all of whom were inquiring of the Lord through Joseph Smith to know what their respective duties were now that the church had been formally organized. Three of those five men were given the same charge in verses 3 through 5: "thy calling is to exhortation and to strengthen the church." As I study, I try to look for words and phrases that are repeated and to think about the significance of why they are repeated and how I can apply them in my life.

As I looked up the word "exhortation" I was surprised to find that a similar word for exhort is “encourage”. I loved that! To me, the word exhort has always conjured up thoughts of being harsh and punitive, but to encourage someone is so much more positive and enjoyable.

The rest of these sections (24-26) give us some ideas on ways we can strengthen the church. Jesus Christ gives us a perfect example of what we can do to follow Him in this effort in section 24:1. He is talking to Joseph Smith and says "I have lifted thee up out of thine afflictions, and have counseled thee". Here are two ways that we can help strengthen the church.
  • lift others up
  • counsel with others
In Section 25:5 and 14 the Lord gives Emma Smith some counsel regarding how to help her husband when he is suffering afflictions. Since this revelation is given as the Lord's "voice unto all" (v. 16), we can apply this counsel to any of our relationships, including our relationship to other members of the church. With that context in mind, here are some other ways we can strengthen the church...
  • be a comfort to others
  • use consoling words 
  • cultivate a spirit of meekness 
  • delight in the glory of others 
As I read through that list, it sounded a lot like what we covenant to do when we are baptized. Alma used these different but similar phrases: "willing to bear one another's burdens, that they may be light, and are willing to mourn with those that mourn and comfort those that stand in need of comfort" (Mosiah 18:8-9).

In Section 24:7 the Lord gave Joseph Smith a promise that I believe has application for us as well as we strive to do our part to encourage others and strengthen the church. He said: "For thou shalt devote all thy service in Zion; and in this thou shalt have strength." I think it's a wonderful blessing that as we use our strength, gifts and time to strengthen others we are in turn blessed with increased strength in our own lives. I know this promise is true. I've seen it in my life and in the life of my husband and in our family. As we strive to do our part to strengthen others we are blessed to have the strength to do all the other things that are required of us.

No comments: