Saturday, February 20, 2021

Declare Repentance unto this generation

In Doctrine and Covenants sections 14-16, as more supporters started coming on board with the work Joseph Smith was doing, most of them came to Joseph and asked him to petition God for a revelation that would tell them what they could do to help with this great work. One of the messages that was often repeated was to "declare repentance unto this generation." (6:9-Oliver, 11:9-Hyrum, 14:8-David Whitmer, 15:6-John Whitmer, 16:6-Peter Whitmer, Jr.) Typically when we think of someone declaring repentance to others we think of missionaries. So how can we fulfill this charge when we're not serving a full-time mission? I think it helps to understand what repentance means. This Bible Dictionary says that repentance means "a turning of the heart and will to God."  President Nelson gave us another definition in his talk called "We Can Do Better and Be Better." He said, "The word for repentance in the Greek New Testament is metanoeo. The prefix meta- means 'change.' The suffix -noeo is related to Greek words that mean “mind,” “knowledge,” “spirit,” and “breath.” Thus, when Jesus asks you and me to “repent,” He is inviting us to...

change our mind, 

change our knowledge, 

change our spirit, 

and even change the way we breathe.

He is asking us to change to the way we love,

(change the way we) think,

(change the way we) serve,

(change the way we) spend our time, 

(change the way we) treat our (spouse),

 (change the way we) teach our children,

and even (change the way we) care for our bodies."

When we are asked to declare repentance unto this generation, we are asked to help people change. This is such a refreshing way to look at how we can fulfill the charge to preach repentance. Any role that we currently fill (spouse, parent, grandparent, child, friend, leader or teacher) will allow plenty of opportunities to teach the principle of change. I love that the new Children and Youth goal setting program is an extension of this principle. As children and youth set their yearly goals to improve in different areas of their lives, they are putting the principle of repentance into action. They are looking for ways that they can change and become better disciples of Christ.

President Nelson has said that repentance needs to be a daily focus in our lives. As I've tried to follow this counsel from our prophet, I find that it can be challenging at the end of a long day to kneel in prayer and try to remember the moments of the day where I messed up. But there was an article in the February 2021 Liahona by Elder Neil L. Andersen that has helped me work through this daily process of repentance. In this article he lists several questions we can ask ourselves at the end of the day that can help reveal to us what we need to repent of. The questions are...

"What more could I have done?"

"What thoughts and emotions do I need to control?"

"How could I have better followed the example of the Savior?"

"How could I have been more kind, more loving, more forgiving, and more merciful toward others?"

"In what ways was I less than my Heavenly Father would want me to be?"

I have found that as I take the time to ponder these questions before praying, I am always made aware of my mistakes and what I need to change.  In the same talk, President Nelson said "too many people consider repentance as punishment--something to be avoided except in the most serious circumstances. But this feeling of being penalized is engendered from Satan....When we choose to repent, we choose to change! We allow the Savior to transform us into the best version of ourselves. We choose to grow spiritually and receive joy--the joy of redemption in Him. When we choose to repent, we choose to become more like Jesus Christ!"

I hope that we can all see repentance and our need to declare repentance not as a punishment but as something that is joyful and is one way we become more like our Savior.


No comments: