Saturday, January 9, 2021

Power of Pondering

There are so many lessons we can learn from the story of the First Vision. As I studied the account again this week in Joseph Smith-History 1:1-26, some of the lessons I learned were about the power of pondering, and the role it played in the story of the First Vision. Joseph’s pondering played a key role in this revelation and he continued to realize the value of pondering throughout his life.
Here are the pondering phrases I found that proceed his reading of James 1:5

“My mind was called up to serious reflection” (v. 8)
“My feelings were deep and often poignant” (v. 8)
“In process of time, my mind became somewhat partial to” (v. 8)
“I often said to myself” (v. 10)

Before he even goes to the scriptures, he’s already been pondering for some time and he has questions: What is to be done? Who of all these parties is right...? If any one of them be right, which is it, and how shall I know it? (v. 10)

Lesson: If we’re seeking revelation, it is helpful to define and think about the questions we are seeking answers to.

After reading James 1:5, he again references pondering. In verse 12 we read “I reflected on it again and again”.

After reflecting on this scripture “at length”, Joseph concludes that he must do as James directs, which is to “ask of God”.

Lesson: as the scriptures speak to our hearts, we must ponder upon their words to receive additional inspiration. Joseph might not have “asked God” if he had not pondered upon that scripture.

Pondering is something that has increasingly become more and more difficult to do in our day. Our time seems to be torn between many good things as well as distractions that unnecessarily occupy us. So how do we create an environment where we can ponder? The scriptures teach that the Spirit speaks in a still, small voice (1 Nephi 17:45), accordingly, I have found that it helps me greatly if I can find a quiet place. I’ve also found that it helps if I write things down. Sometimes thoughts come in the middle of a busy day and if I write them down then it shows the Lord I’m aware of Him and grateful for His inspiration, and I can go back to them later if I need to.

When Jesus Christ visited the Nephites, he invited them to “ponder upon the things which [he had] said...that [they might] understand” (3 Nephi 17:3). I know that as we take time to ponder we too will be able to better Hear Him.








No comments: